STONEHAM — Chief Matthew Grafton reports that the Stoneham Fire Department responded to a house fire earlier today.
At 1:49 p.m. the Stoneham Fire Department was dispatched to 164 North St. for a report of a fire after a neighbor alerted a passing Stoneham Police officer to smoke coming from the home. Upon arrival, firefighters immediately struck a second alarm upon observing smoke and flames inside the home.
Stoneham Fire’s Ladder 1 and Engines 3 and 5 responded to the scene, along with mutual aid from the Woburn, Reading, Wakefield, Winchester and Melrose Fire Departments. Firefighters extinguished flames on the first floor of the home and determined that the fire had extended into the walls and into the home’s attic.
Nobody was home at the time of the fire, but firefighters did safely rescue a dog that was found inside on the second floor.
“All of the responding crews did a great job working quickly as a team to bring this incident under control,” Chief Grafton said. “I’m grateful that nobody was hurt, including the family dog who was able to be removed and brought to safety outside.”
A Boston Sparks Rehab Unit also responded to the scene, as did the Stoneham Police Department, Stoneham Department of Public Works and Action Ambulance.
The Medford, Malden and Saugus Fire Departments provided station coverage in Stoneham while firefighters responded to the scene.
The house is currently uninhabitable, and the American Red Cross responded to assist the residents of the single-family home with finding alternative shelter.
The fire is believed to have originated on the first floor of the home, and Stoneham Police and Fire investigators are working in collaboration with the State Fire Marshal’s Office to investigate.
Chief Grafton would like to give his thanks to those who assisted on the call and provided mutual aid and station coverage.